Monday, June 15, 2009

All Night Sail to Morrow Bay



The sea lions on the sea wall at Monterey Harbor. 

At about 8:30am we were underway from Beautiful Monterey.  It was a magical morning.  For one thing, I was now embarking upon new waters. I had never had Astraea South of Monterey before.  Also, it was just a beautiful morning.  Yes, of course the beautiful weather of the day before was gone and it was overcast and drizzling and cold, however Monterey is just a beautiful place.  The hundreds of sea lions were barking and making their usual cacophony and as I motored into the harbor there were at least 100 dolphins swimming on the surface and jumping out of the water all around me, with some playing in my bow wake.  It was like they were all bidding me farewell and good luck.  Birds of all kinds were also in the air and on the water.  It was a veritable nature fest!  One of the most beautiful things about the ocean is the vast array of sea life in, over, and around it. 

Once again there was NO WIND.  This is getting tiresome.  So I raised all the sails but also set the engine for about 1800rpm and we sailed toward Morrow Bay at about 5 knots. 



Table for one with an ocean view.   
Dinner aboard Astraea underway from Monterey to Morrow Bay.  I eat topside where I can watch for traffic.  Notice the glass of water.  No wine or other alcohol while underway!!!!

It was going to be another all night sail, however this time I was much better prepared as I had gotten a good nights sleep, about eight hours, and not gotten up until about 6:30am.  I felt rested and ready to take it on. 








The Big Sur coastline as the sun began to set. 



It was another long night.  I sat in the cockpit and Eloise steered.  Oh, yes, the Auto Pilot is now named Eloise.  Eloise was one of the dearest friends I have had in my life, and she passed away a couple of years ago at 85.  Her name was Eloise von Otto.  Auto.  Get it?  Eloise von Auto Pilot?  Well, sorry, but I thought it fun and also Eloise was an important part of my life, and I was finding the auto pilot to also be a major source of joy.  It would be incredibly difficult to have to steer all the time.  However I just set Eloise ona course and sit back with my book, scan the horizon every few minutes, check the radar, the GPS, the engine, the sails.  Eloise keeps us on course.  Could not do this without her.  Also, it is nice to know that Eloise is with me in spirit on this adventure.  She would like that.







Sunset at sea is always stunning, but it does make one think about being totally alone in a tiny boat on a huge ocean. 





1 comment:

  1. I found your post in searching for news of a family member whom I knew as a college student and newlywed but with whom I lost contact some years ago. It could be that the Eloise you mention was my father's cousin, an adventurer who lived in DC a few doors down from the Cathedral. If this was your Eloise, I would love to make contact and hear your remembrances of her life.

    Betsy.Jones@CountdownGroup.com

    ReplyDelete